Coffee? Tea? Or is it just Me?



I HATE coffee. There. I said it. I know I'm one of the few out there who doesn't drink it. I am a tea drinker. I am NOT a second class citizen. But many restaurants treat me as if I were one.

When my husband and I go out to breakfast - he orders coffee, and I order tee. His cup is constantly filled to the brim with freshly brewed coffee.

I get ONE TEA BAG and am LUCKY if I can get the waitress to bring me more hot water.

This is what I don't understand. If we are both charged, let's say, $1.50 for a cup of tea/coffee, why is it that his cup of coffee is bottomless, while I get one STINKING tea bag? Does that seem fair?

Recently we were out to breakfast. We ordered our usual coffee and tea. The waitress brought me back a tiny little teapot and a mug full of hot water. Altogether that made about 1 1/2 cups of tea. I drank that before my breakfast even arrived so I needed more to drink to go with my meal. The waitress came by and asked if I needed more hot water and I said, "Yes, and could you bring me another tea bag, please?"

You would have thought that I asked her to hang me from the ceiling by my ankles.

She brought back the pot of hot water and a new tea bag and said, "Shh! Don't tell any one!"

Seriously - do you think anyone in the restaurant gives a rats ass that I got two tea bags for the price of one? And c'mon folks! A box of 100 tea bags cost, on average, a little over five bucks a box. If I do my calculations correctly, that's a little over a nickle a bag. I think they can afford to give me a freaking new bag with every cup. Don't you agree?

Usually my little teapot or mug is ignored. Every once in awhile a waitress will ask if I need more hot water. I drink my tea with cream and sugar, so it looks like coffee. Many times the waitress offers to "warm" it up with coffee. I take my chances and put my hand over the mug so they won't ruin my tea. Yeah. That's right. I'd rather SCALD my hand than drink coffee-tasting tea.

IHOP (International House of Pancakes) is one of the few restaurants that treat tea drinkers equally. We get our own teapots on the table right next to the coffeepot. Albeit they are smaller that the coffeepot, but baby steps, you know?

Now if I can only get the rest of the restaurants to follow suit. Either that or I'm going to have to start bringing my own tea bags along with me.

For your viewing pleasure, here's something to show you that teapots are not just for brewing tea. Enjoy!

You have read this article Tea drinkers have rights too / teapot blowers with the title Coffee? Tea? Or is it just Me?. You can bookmark this page URL http://callusmesdemoiselles.blogspot.com/2010/01/coffee-tea-or-is-it-just-me.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Coffee? Tea? Or is it just Me?"

Post a Comment